Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Ballad of the Beautiful Slacker

George Jack Warren Kerrigan
was Indiana raised,
followed Dad in warehouse work
'til theatre filled his days.

With thick dark hair and hazel eyes
they crowned him "Gibson Man",
And Essanay was quick to act
(hey, grab 'em while you can!)

He soared into the stratosphere
As star of Flying A,
Then on to Universal - he was
King of Photoplay.

But even demigods must fall
and he was no exception.
His stance on the Great War was one
of natural selection:

Why send great talent overseas
when they were filled with beauty?
Send over lesser working men
to fight, their nation's duty.

Such comments stole his princely spot,
it never to recover.
And other questions followed him -
Where was his lady lover?

He didn't think that picture stars
Should anchor to another.
"It doesn't seem quite fair," he said,
"Besides, I have my Mother."

The Covered Wagon brought back fame
from his obscurity,
A few more films, then he retired -
to James (and privacy).

His films and face are lost, but Jack
Knew this the way of art.
"I have had my day...and I
Loved it with all my heart."





















J Warren Kerrigan