Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Downstairs (1932)



Oh, to be able to leap through time and plant a big kiss on Jack Gilbert for this one! He is deliciously deviant in this little gem about a chauffeur who leaves discord wherever he works. It’s a shame and true loss to cinema history that he didn’t make a comeback after this film (though, in all honesty, he probably wouldn’t have been well enough to handle it); he is in fine form, strong and handsome with a voice reminiscent of William Powell’s. You will love to hate him! This picture deserves to be known (and shown!) more than it is – and Gilbert deserves accolades for coming up with the storyline. Highly recommended!

I give this one:

5 comments:

Jennythenipper said...

Thanks for this. I haven't seen this one, but I was amazed by the quality of the first Gilbert Talkie I saw:http://cinemaocd.blogspot.com/search/label/John%20Gilbert Sorry, I couldn't stop with the William Powell comparisons!


I will keep an eye out for Downstairs! I'd love to see him in a comedy.

Avalon76 said...

Ah, so I'm not the only one who heard the Powell in him! *laughs* It's a really great film.

KC said...

I've been dying to see this movie ever since I read about it in Mick LaSalle's pre-code book. I'm glad to hear it is good. I always knew Gilbert would be able to handle a more devilish role--haha.

Anonymous said...

I saw "Downstairs" last night on TCM. Jack Gilbert's performance was outstanding. It's hard to believe that it was released almost 80 years ago. Gilbert played his character so well that I was torn between rooting for him or rooting against him, even though I knew the entire movie that he was a scoundrel.

Avalon76 said...

Yay! So glad you caught it! He is such a wonderful, unapologetic bastard, isn't he?